Friday, February 19, 2010

Changes


I listen to a lot of music, usually just to enjoy it. So this was a little bit harder fo rme, since there is a lot of songs that I like, but not all of them mean something specific. If I had to pick one that meant something to me, it would be Changes by Tupac. I'm not to sre why, but I have always liked this song and thought that it had a powerful message. Basically he is talking about how we need to make changes, so that things can be better. He has noticed, that there has been a lot of racism and that it is not good. He talks about how we aren't ready to see a black president, since things are still hard for black people. This song was written in 1998, so things were still rough for him. He sees a lot of people dealing drugs, even to kids, "I gotta get paid". This song also deals with unfair treatment from police against African-Americans. Tupac was known for addressing thingss that were wrong in society through his songs, and was idolized by many people. He states that "instead of a war on poverty they got a war on drugs so the police can bother me". He was a great artist, but isn't my favorite. I picture a lot of racial hatred and violence when I hear this song, as well as Change, since things have gotten better.

4 comments:

  1. i think rappers can have a real strong story behind their words! although a lot of times their music is just to get the party started at least it gets people to do something with their lives hahaha instead of just sitting around. But rapping is crazy to me cause i see it as a very aggresive type of expressing oneself but rappers can make it so romantic too...it baffles me haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rap is one of my favorite genres, personally I would enjoy it so much more if there wasnt so many swear words, call me old, I think it's tacky. Tupac is my man, I love his music, he sent a powerful message to the world with all his music. When I think of him I can't help but wish that he was still alive and what a tragedy it was. His music does tell a story, a different side of the world, things that have happened to him that bring to realization that there are problems in the world and that the gov. shouldn't focus on the little things but the bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's always interesting to actually listen to the words of rap songs, there is a lot of stuff going on within the lyrics that is hard to pick up on unless you are really paying attention. i never really noticed until i watched 8 mile haha back in the day. but i like rap because they are real, and they don't try and like sugar coat anything, they just tell it like it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of people like Tupac and im sure it because of this song. This song hits people hard and makes them think. In my opinion, once Tupac came out with this song it made everyone stop and actually think about what he is trying to say. Ususally rap songs are just made to attract people to listen, but Tupac seems to put messages in his lyrics that are important to himself and life in general.

    ReplyDelete