Friday, February 12, 2010

Rhetorical Devices

I think that the most effective rhetoric device is Pathos. Pathos deals with emotion and is directed toward the reader. Without this piece, I think that most essays would be horrible, at least from the reader's view. If there is nothing to keep the reader interested or hooked, then they are not going to continue reading. I like reading things that I am interested in or can be persuade about, so there must be some of this in order to keep me on board. I think that in most cases, credibility doesn't always need to be established, unless it had to do with politics. Also, a piece can still be good, even if it doesn't have direct stats or quotes. But a piece of writing isn't complete without effective language and the ability to keep the reader reading.

I think that throughout the book Krakauer has had many examples of the three devices, but it has been dominated by Logos. Krakauer has interviewed many people that came in contact with Chris before he went to Alaska, and used it in the book. This is concrete evidence as to the story of Chris, since these people were around him and got to know him, for a little while. This is good, because this is the only actual knowledge about Chris, after he started his journey. This seems to me like it is the most abundant, since it is there multiple times every chapter.

4 comments:

  1. I think that you have a good point that pathos has the ability to make people stay connected for longer than any other form of rhetoric. Because it has this power people can feel a stronger connection to the piece i believe. I think its funny that all of us except Amera have chosen pathos to be the most effective. ohhhh Amera. :) But seriously although im emotional in general i think that from personal experience pathos is the strongest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree, if writing doesn't have pathos, i have a hard time continuing to read it. i feel like text books are a good example of this, my gened book is the most boring thing to read. maybe if it incorporated some pathos into it, i would be able to stay hooked into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you do have a good point that patho's and the connection, I also thing that without pathos the book would be boring. Into the wild is all about patho's and it is clear, the whole book is there to tie the reader, to tie parents, and adults, college students and high school students, rich and poor and men and women!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, pathos is crucial. Pathos is what gets me interested and makes me actually think about what im reading. Krakauer does a great job of implementing this rhetoical device to convey his point to the reader. Krakauer also has a good amount of logos to properly back up his points from Chris' journals and post cards that he has sent to his friends.

    ReplyDelete