Friday, March 5, 2010

Walt and Krakauer

I think that it was a great idea for Krakauer to include the chapters about his youth, as well as McCandless' father. It gave us more insight as to the reasons that Chris might have gone to Alaska to do his adventure. We found out that his dad was involved with some other woman, which gave Chris a negative view towards his father. It made Chris seem not as crazy or stupid, which is exactly why Krakauer chose to include this. Krakauer shows us that there are other people in the world who have ambitions like Chris did. I think it mainly reinforced my views of Chris, as I was already starting to understand some of his logic behind his actions. I could also feel for some of what Chris had to go through, in a way, since my parents got divorced and then had to witness my mom getting married again. It may not be exactly the same, but I have some sort of understanding as to what he went through. This also gives us some insight as to why Krakauer was so interested by this story. Before this, I was somewhat curious as to why Krakauer wrote about this.

4 comments:

  1. i think everyone agress that because of this chapter it allows the reader to become more in touch with all the stories throughout the book. i like how you said you were able to feel more of what chris was going through because of it. its true because krakauer was able to provide a very specific description the reader was able to get vivid images of what was really happening in chris' brain

    ReplyDelete
  2. I as well see these chapters to be very helpful. The reader gets alot more out of the book just by these few chapters were Krakauer talks about his personal adventures. His lifestyle is very similar to Chris' and I think he is trying to show the reader that Chris was not the only person to do what he did. I beleive he wants the reader to see that Chris is not one-of-a-kind. By giving examples of when he hitchhiked, he shows that his young adulthood was very comparable to that of chris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. again, i feel this is really repetitive, but i think we all agree that it did nothing bad for us, but only good things. instead, i wonder what it would be like if we didn't have those 2 chapters to get a better idea of the reasoning why. would you believe that there were some left out facts, or would you believe that the story was bias?

    ReplyDelete
  4. knowing the reasons behind why chris left in the first place, and the type of relationship he had with his dad, really made the whole story make more sense in my mind. it reinforced my views as well. both of my parents are remarried too and it is a similar situation, and as a kid you have no choice but to feel semi bitter about the whole situation. and for chris, it was enough to make him leave.

    ReplyDelete