Friday, April 23, 2010

Portfolio

I think that out of all my essays the McCandless one needs the most work done. I think that needs the most work mainly because it was the first essay that we wrote and I have learned soo much aboout my writing over the semester. The main thing that I feel is wrong with it is that my secondary sources that discuss my topic are not very strong. i think that I really need to get better sources, and probably more credible, in order to make my point stronger. It was also pointed out to me that I used somewhat harsh language when i was trying to show McCandless being ignorant and unprepared. I think that it would be just as effective if i toned down my word choice a bit. On the other hand, I feel that right now my personal analysis essay is the best. I think that I followed the prompt fully and that this essay just came out strong. I did a good job of comparing myself to Michael Phelps in a couple different ways, and at the same time making my connection universal. That made it more applicable to anyone who might read my essay. One of the strongest points that I made was about me having a similar conversation with my mother that Phelps had with his mom. I felt that this drew a direct comparison and was descriptive enough to get the point across. I think that it still needs a lot of work done, though. One thing is that I need to make the part about my brother more clear and separate from the rest of my essay. I was trying to show how my brother was like Phelps' swim coach, but didn't make that clear enough.

1 comment:

  1. I think you nailed our corrections for you essays! Its true i think eveyones Mccandless essays need the most work because they were all of our first esssays and at least for me i hadnt written a formal essay for over a year so i was out of practice. I think if we all go back and take a good look at our mccandless essay's a lot will explain for itself. You did go the opposite direction than most of the poeple in our class did as in you thought chris was a moron. I like that you took your opinions and ran with them but it is true you cant degrade chris so much because it will turn poeple away from your essay altogether.

    I like all of our personal essays so far. You brought a person that is very well knwon in this nation yet none of us had an idea that his parents were divorced. It really hooked me as a reader because i love our country and knowing that phelps is a pretty big deal in this country and yet so relatable that you guys ahve been through some of the same experiences as each other is really interesting to me. I think the only major thing that you need to cahnge with that essay is making it clear of the connection between the coach and your brother. i think if you do that your essay will be prime.

    Keep up the good work! and just make a few changes and i think your essays will be winners!!

    ReplyDelete